Battambang City, with around 140,000 inhabitants, is the largest secondary city in Cambodia. Its name comes from the legend of Bat Dambong, the “Disappearing Stick”. Situated on the Sangker River, people have lived in wooden houses along its banks for centuries. When the province was associated with the Siamese (1795 to 1907), Battambang City had about 2,500 residents. By the end of the 19th century the number increased to around 100,000. An open-air market (today known as Psar Nath), numerous pagodas, a Chinese temple and rectangular fort with the palace of the Lord Governor dating to 1830 were landmarks of the city.